After one weekend and many evenings of hard work, we were able to finish the teak hardwood floors (the link is the initial post I did) in Lily’s bedroom (mostly – need to install some quarter-round). It was a lot of work but we are so pleased with how it turned out. I did most of the demolition and carpet clearing but I give a ton of credit to Adam who manually hammered in each piece. I couldn’t get a good shot of her room – it is a pretty tiny space but here’s the best one I had. I love the variety of colors!
We had purchased wood to do the hall and loft area outside of her room but after we realized how time consuming it was, we swore we would outsource the tasks. Two full-time employed adults just don’t need to spend all their free time slaving away doing manual labor. We got a quote but didn’t act on it. After a weekend of relaxing, we (OK, I) decided to get back to business. I set up shop outside of the hall/loft area, organizing the wood pieces by size and color. What can I say, I am an organized accountant!
This is the before shot of the cheap builder’s carpet leading out of Lily’s room down the hall to the (rather useless) loft area. It looks rather blurred in the photo but Adam painted that calla lily oil canvas for me 🙂
I ripped out the remaining carpet (thank goodness for my recent tetanus shot – those rusty nails are prickly!) and Adam started sawing out the door jams with a newly purchased tool. After a day of back-breaking, knee-hurting work, we made a bit of progress. Not as much as we wanted but frankly I think it looks awesome so far.
We will spend the next few evenings and weekend to try to wrap it up. Then I’ll wait a good month or two till Adam forgets what a pain this was and convince him that our bedroom carpet needs to go, too!